Loading…

Sign up or log in to bookmark your favorites and sync them to your phone or calendar.

Cinder [clear filter]
Wednesday, October 28
 

2:00pm

Cinder: Will the real Block Storage Service please stand up
Moderator: John Griffith
Every company these days wants to provide a SDS with plugins, sure sounds a lot like Cinder! The complaint is that Cinder doesn't offer enough and doesn't work outside of OpenStack, maybe we can/should change that?

Wednesday October 28, 2015 2:00pm - 2:40pm
Crown room
  • format json

2:50pm

Cinder: Availability Zones in Cinder - expectations and improvements
Moderators: Michal Dulko, Duncan Thomas
Change of behavior in Nova (started passing AZ when creating a volume) uncovered misunderstaning in the community about how Cinder should treat AZs. We should ask operators how they see AZs and how we can improve them in Cinder to make their life easier.

More info: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/220971/

Wednesday October 28, 2015 2:50pm - 3:30pm
Crown room
  • format json
 
Thursday, October 29
 

9:00am

Cinder: Experimental APIs and Microversions
Moderators: Patrick East, Scott D'Angelo
Do we need them? Do we want them? How should we implement them?

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/cinder-experimental-api-info
Draft spec for microversions - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223803/ and code - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/224910/ )

Thursday October 29, 2015 9:00am - 9:40am
Crown room
  • format json

9:00am

Glance: Cross-Project Property Protections Support
Moderator: Brian Rosmaita

What problem is this trying to solve?:
    Way back in Havana, Glance introduced "property protections".  This feature was requested by deployers, who wanted the ability to put licensing information on images (which would be put onto instances) and have this info also be propagated to snapshots by Nova, so that instances created from snapshots would also receive this information.  To make this work for licensing/billing info, of course, the image owner must not be able to modify such properties.  The solution in Glance allows control over properties to be expressed in the policy.json file, and allows the properties that are protected to specified by regex.  Thus it is extremely configurable, which is both a blessing and a curse.
    We left it up to deployers to communicate to their end-users how property protections work in their cloud.  However, other OpenStack projects that create images (e.g., Nova, Cinder) currently require some crazy configuration/deployment gyrations to respect property protecions.  Additionally, projects that allow image property creation/updates (e.g., Horizon) would like better knowledge of what the protections are in order to provide a good user experience.   And it also affects projects that read image records (e.g., Searchlight) because whether an end-user should see a property or not depends on how the property is protected.
    There's a spec up in Nova [0] that proposes to fix this for Nova by introducing a new configuration option, "inheritable_admin_image_properties", that would specify a list of image properties for which Nova would use admin credentials to put on an image.
    What I'd like to do in this session is to find out from some other projects how they interact with Glance with respect to property protections and how we can improve this process.  For example, though the fix mentioned above would work for Nova, it would be nice if we could figure out a secure way to update "admin-only" properties in specific contexts without requiring use of admin credentials.  Additionally, maybe we can leverage metadefs to get the info about property protections out to Horizon and Searchlight.
    Even if we can't solve this in code during Mitaka, it would be worth gathering some best practices to communicate to deployers.
[0]  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/206431/
Discussion:
    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-glance-xp-property-protections-support

Thursday October 29, 2015 9:00am - 9:40am
Amethyst room
  • format json

9:00am

Magnum: Storage Features
OpenStack already has a variety of storage capabilities offered through Cinder, and Manila. In the Mitaka release, we plan to embark on an adventure to add new storage integration features into Magnum to allow these resources to be utilized from your containerized applications. Come to this session to affirm our current priorities for adding storage features. For example, we would like to add support for cinder volumes with filesystems automatically created by Heat/Magnum that are added to the host, and shared with the container by using "-e" hints in Docker that can be used in combination with "-v" flags with Docker to conenct a new/existing volume to a particular container. We would also like to leverage Manila to expose a given filesystem to multiple containers so they can have a consistent filesystem view across multiple containers on multiple hosts.

Thursday October 29, 2015 9:00am - 9:40am
Ohka room
  • format json

9:50am

Cinder: Cinder Nova Interaction
Discussion around any integration issues. Start identifying and shortcomings or other things we need to work on to make things better.

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/NovaCinderMitakaSession

Some topics to be covered include:
* Multi-attach
* OS-Brick
* Cinder-Nova API changes
* Extending attached volumes
* Bugs

Thursday October 29, 2015 9:50am - 10:30am
Crown room
  • format json

1:50pm

Cinder: Cinder Driver Interface
Moderator: Eric Harney

A couple of topics I see as related...
* Defining/documenting the driver API
* Possible changes to driver API to pull DB access out of drivers
* Whether we can enable integration of drivers with non-Cinder services

Thursday October 29, 2015 1:50pm - 2:30pm
Suzuran room
  • format json

2:40pm

Cinder: Work session
Topic: API Microversions
Moderator: Scott D'Angelo

Deeper dive into how it works and how to use it.

spec: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223803/
code: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/224910/

Thursday October 29, 2015 2:40pm - 3:20pm
Fuku Room
  • format json

2:40pm

Glance: Glance Image Import reloaded
Session leader: Brian Rosmaita

What problem is this trying to solve?:

We need to nail down the requirements for a public-facing image import mechanism that will satisfy DefCore as well as the concerns of large public clouds and small private clouds and small public clouds and large private clouds. OK, so a brief summary of this is that the current upload mechanism works fine for some folks but not others. DefCore wants us to have a single upload mechanism for everyone to use. That's what we want to nail down the requirements on. The current upload mechanism will continue to exist but won't be a DefCore requirement.

Summit session etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Mitaka-glance-image-import-reloaded

Thursday October 29, 2015 2:40pm - 3:20pm
Suzuran room
  • format json

3:30pm

Cinder: Work session
Topic: C-vol active/active
Moderator: Michal Dulko, Gorgka Eguileor, Walter Boring
Follow up from the last summit. We haven't actually managed to complete that due to multiple reasons and if we want to achive that we need to revisit the topic.

Gorka's writeups on the matter: http://gorka.eguileor.com/a-cinder-road-to-activeactive-ha/, http://gorka.eguileor.com/simpler-road-to-cinder-active-active/.

Thursday October 29, 2015 3:30pm - 4:10pm
Fuku Room
  • format json

4:30pm

Cinder: Work session
Topic: ABC Work
Moderator: John Griffith
Clean up the base driver such that it's readable, more self explanatory and easier for new drivers to use as a template/reference
* Option 1 - Refactor the way we use ABC's and refactor the base driver to make it less of a mess
* Option 2 - Refactor base driver and utilize Zope interfaces for impl enforcement

Topic: Driver Deadlines
Moderator: Sean McGinnis
Discussion on current driver deadlines and alternatives.

Thursday October 29, 2015 4:30pm - 5:10pm
Fuku Room
  • format json

5:20pm

Cinder: Work session
Topic: Volume Manager Locks
Moderator: Walter?
Discuss need for locking in the volume manager. Follow on from cross project discussions on DLM.

Thursday October 29, 2015 5:20pm - 6:00pm
Fuku Room
  • format json
 
Friday, October 30
 

9:00am

Cinder contributors meetup
The Cinder contributors meetup is a informal gathering of the project contributors, with an open agenda.

Friday October 30, 2015 9:00am - 12:30pm
Amethyst room
  • format json

2:00pm

Cinder contributors meetup
The Cinder contributors meetup is a informal gathering of the project contributors, with an open agenda.

Friday October 30, 2015 2:00pm - 5:30pm
Amethyst room
  • format json